Thursday 4 October 2012

Practicing for Halloween =)

Hey Guys, so I finally finished my exams thus I can finally start to bake and do more nail art designs (some from magazines and some from my imagination) for you guys. To start of, its the month of October and that means Halloween is coming. So I decided to practice baking halloween treats, I started with the pre-made stuff that I found in my local market. I got this cool pumpkin cookie sandwich kit and a brain cupcake making kit.


The pictures I took while baking these is below. *ps. not as tasty as it looks*

1. Chocolate Sandwich Cookie Kit (Pumpkin shaped) it comes with the free cookie cutter
The dough.. after adding 4 Tbsp of butter, and one egg with the pre-made cookie mix. Yes I know it doesn't look appetizing. I would say it looks like (inappropriate word). You guys shall imagine on ur own what it looks like.
Once ur dough is ready, just lightly dust ur work table with flour and roll out the dough and cut it out using the cookie cutter like I did so. The number of cookie sandwiches you make depends on the thickness of the cookie 
Bake it in a preheated oven for 9 to 11 minutes at 180 Degrees. The bad part about using dark coloured dough. You are not sure when it is done. Here is where you use ur own eyes to see if it has finished baking. 

Make the icing, 1 cup of icing sugar, powdered sugar which ever you have in your country, 4 Tbsp of butter and their orange icing powder mix. Ps, the smell is terrible, I had to add more icing sugar to neutralise the smell. 
Finished product. Put it in the fridge for awhile to let the icing harden.
Tasting Meter:
The icing -> Really sweet  - 3/10
The cookie -> The taste further reinforces my dislike for chocolate cookies. *tastes really bland* 3/10
Conclusion : I prefer making it from scratch. next time i will try my own cookie recipe but with orange coloured dough and black icing =) Look out for it soon.

2. The Brain Cupcake Kit
The process is similar to the Betty Crocker Cake mix.

 In the Oven

 One of my best cupcakes ever. Perfectly cooked through with slight browning =)
 Icing. Smell's terrible and had to neutralise it with vanilla extract and more pink gel food colouring to get this nice pink.
Well my Icing Skills are terrible but it is not bad for a first timer. Does it look like brains to you?



Anyone wants to eat Brains?? 
Tasting meter : 
The icing is overly sweet. 3/10.
The cupcake is small and not so sweet. 6/10
Conclusion : I make them from scratch is so much better than these pre-made stuff

Stay Tune for more baking dis month. Next week I will be using fondant to decorate cookies =).    

No comments:

Post a Comment