Saturday 6 October 2012

Pumpkin Sandwich Cookies from Scratch and Wheat Bone Doggie Biscuits

Hey guys, hope you guys had an awesome day. Today I have for you the Pumpkin Sandwich Cookies with Buttercream Frosting from scratch and a recipe (Wheat Bone) for your lovely Companion or one would say man's best friend. 

pictures are below so hope you guys enjoy

1. Pumpkin Sandwich Cookies with Buttercream Frosting (for your upcoming halloween party)

Ingredients : recipe click -> Rolled Sugar Cookies <-- these recipe makes about 60 pieces of cookies
but I adjusted the recipe so that it would make about 30 pieces. Of course it still depends on how thick or thin you roll out your dough.
For those who are lazy to click like me sometimes =)
Here is the recipe I used:
170g unsalted butter 
200g white sugar
2 eggs
310g all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking power
 Method : 
1. Cream Butter and Sugar till smooth
2. Beat in eggs and vanilla extract
3. Stir in baking powder, salt and the flour
4. Cover and chill dough for 1 hour or overnight
In this version, I divided the dough into half. While putting half the plain white sugar cookies into cling wrap and chill it in the fridge. 
Then Dyed the other half with orange gel food colouring to orange like a pumpkin =)
 Put it in cling wrap to chill in the fridge, Isn't the Colour pretty ?
After chilling the dough, put it on a lightly dusted surface to roll it out or between two parchment paper. The dough is a little sticky or in my case really sticky. Just knead it with a little bit more flour and it would just fine. Use a cookie cutter of your choice. I used my previous post's cookie cutter of the pumpkin. Place the cut out cookie, 1 inch part on a cookie sheet. And baked it in the preheat oven of 175 degrees though the recipe said 200 degrees. I have the tendency to forget about my cookies thus if you are like me, its best not to put it so high.

Once its done, it will look like this. the colour is a little lighter thus add more gel food colouring at the start but not till it leaves a bitter after taste.
Let the cookies cool completely before putting the buttercream frosting if not the frosting will melt and it will become messy. I did not manage to make pure black buttercream frosting as it turned out to be a ugly purplish colour thus that batch was discarded. I made another batch and just used wilton's already made black icing to decorate the top of the cookie. But I found a website that teaches you how to make it, if anyone is interested. click the link -> Pure Black Buttercream Frosting. Interesting fact I learnt today. They use cocoa powder with the black gel food colouring.
 Store it in an air tide container in the fridge  =)


As for the other half of the sugar cookies. I just use my other cookie cutters to cut out shapes.

 Finished cookies
 Happy Halloween guys though its like a few weeks early but enjoy life like there is no tomorrow.

2. Wheat Bones (Doggie Treats for your lovely companion or man's best friend)

I have gotten this recipe from a game called Jessica's Bow Wow Bistro and I decided to try it out since I have dogs too =) Nice treat for them. Ps: It doesn't taste that nice but the dogs seem to like it.

Pictures are below so hope you guys enjoy
 The ingredient is as follows. Though I half the quantity as I was not sure if my dogs would like it. 
Original recipe:
2 Cups Whole - Wheat Flour
1 Cup Cornmeal or Rice Flour (I used the corn meal)
1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil 
1 Cup Water, use as Needed
1 1/2 teaspoon of parsley
1 Cup Peanut Butter
For these recipe, I just use half the quantity (e.g. 1 Cup Peanut butter , I used 1/2 cup)
Method:
1. Lightly Grease Baking Sheets or just use cookie sheets (it beats washing the tray when your done)
2. Preheat the oven to 175 degrees
3. Mix the dry and wet ingredients separately
4. Mix both together to form a dough (if its too sticky add more flour)
5. Put the dough in a lightly floured surface to roll it out.
6. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, untill nicely browned and firm.
This is the dough that is formed after mixing. Roll it out and use the cookie cutter of your choice. I choose to use the dog bone cookie cutter which is simliar to all the dog treats that I have seen.
Line it on the cookie tray 1 inch apart as shown. and put it in the oven







And there you go, Home made Doggie Treats for your Dogs to enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment